Photo: CJ Rivera
Stanley Ruiz is an industrial designer with an extensive background in craft design and production. In his work, he explores the commonplace to bring about new meaning and interpretation to familiar object archetypes.
He has worked with some of the top design brands in North America - from Jonathan Adler, Real Simple, Time Warner, to Indigo Books & Music. He collaborated with pioneering designers from West Elm and helped establish Soho Studios in downtown NYC. In 2008, he started his own design studio doing commissioned work for clients - ranging from ceramic tabletop, glassware, lighting, furniture, to installations and exhibition design. He also manufactures his own line of products under his eponymous brand.
His works have appeared at the Museum of Arts and Design and at the New Museum of Contemporary Art in New York. His products are sold at Habitat, Takashimaya, Urban Outfitters, Anthropologie, plus numerous boutiques and galleries worldwide. Stanley has been featured in a number of books, magazines, and newspapers globally including Elle Decor, Surface, Dwell, Town & Country, Esquire, Metro Home, The Sydney Morning Herald, The Philippine Daily Inquirer, The Philippine Star, BusinessWorld, and Manila Standard, among others.
Stanley has exhibited extensively in the USA, Europe and Asia. He represented the Philippines at the 4th Asia-Europe Artcamp in Helsinki, Finland in 2006. He received the Coup De Coéur award at Maison & Objet in Paris in 2008, and New York-based Surface Magazine named him as one of the Avant Guardians of 2010. In 2013, he received the Bronze Award at the A' Design Awards in Como, Italy.
His recent projects include material development and designing product collections for artisans in the Philippines, as well as consultancy work for CITEM - Department of Trade and Industry.
Based in New York City, he was born and raised in Manila and for several years lived in Bali where he worked in traditional handicrafts.
Awards & Recognition:
- Bronze A' Design Award - Como, Italy (April 2013)
- Mugna Award nominee - CebuNext 2011
- Surface Magazine Avant Guardian 2010
- Invited to Talents at Ambiente, Frankfurt (Feb 2009)
- Coup De Coeur prize, Maison & Objet, Paris (Sept 2008)
- A+: The Young Designer's Platform - New York International Gift Show (August 2008)
- Nominated for Ateneo Art Awards 2007
- Philippine delegate, 4th Asia-Europe Art Camp, Helsinki, Finland (June 2006)
- Shortlisted, Electrolux/Designboom award, Imagine the home in 2020, Stockholm/Milan (November 2005)
- Furniture Design Award (student level), Product Development and Design Center Philippines/ Chamber of Furniture Industries of the Philippines (2001)